June 22, 2011

Check!

Yes, we finally did it.  Another big item on the NYC bucket list.  A years' long dream fulfilled.  We bought the discount tickets months in advance and waited with great anticipation for this night.

And aside from the nasty sinus infection and near tragic babysitting miscommunication (what do you mean you're not coming!?!) we had a good time.

But.

To be perfectly honest, it didn't blow me out of the water.   Does that make me a total snobby loser?  Here's the deal: I've been listening (and singing along) to the original broadway cast recording since my freshman year of college.  It set the bar SUPER high for any live performance to try and match.  And EVERYONE talks about how much they love this show.  Serious gushing, people.  So I went, and I saw it, and I was like, "meh."

I know it sounds bad.  But I had no desire to obsessively flip through the playbill and read all the bios to figure out how these amazing people got here and how I could become one of them.  I didn't gush about the show to people I saw later.  I didn't talk about it all night long with Joe.  Aaaaahhh, how lame and frustrating is that?

I've narrowed it down to 2 main issues:
1. I was waaaay too familiar with the show, and so there were no surprises for me.  Surprise is important.
2. Because so many people love Wicked, I built it up in my mind to such proportions that I fully expected to have an out of body experience in the middle of the performance.

You'd be surprised how often I let myself build things up that much, and how often I am disappointed.

Ah well, next time the trick is to not wait years and years to see a show - see it before the whole world does and then it can be exciting and thrilling and wonderful and I can gush about it to all my friends.

8 comments:

  1. Bhah! That is too bad, I think most people have had something like this happen so everyone should be very understanding. I like that you guys are dressed up so cute though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember when we sang to the soundtrack on that fieldtrip with the nature class? Poor Sean. Good times. Lesson learned, you should have seen it years earlier :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same way when I saw it! So don't feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a good point. I had never heard of this show until my husband brought it up. I loved "Defying Gravity" and it brought me goosebumps. At least you got to see the Broadway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see what your saying. I remember when I saw it I hardly knew anything about it, so I was definitely blown away. However, I saw it with my parents, and was very disappointed when we didn't spend the rest of the night talking about it. Lame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too felt that there was waay too much hype about that show. When i finally got to see it, I was like, "meh".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad to hear that it didn't quite live up to the hype. Now I won't feel so bad when people gasp and exclaim "What!? You haven't SEEN WICKED!!!"

    ReplyDelete