September 13, 2010

It's really hard to spell "zucchini"


Let me preface this post with a 2 part confession:
1. I do not like to cook.   
Yes, I realize this could be considered a problem as my current profession is that of home maker. I clean, I rear a child, I decorate - I don't really cook.
2. I am not a food photographer.  (see above photo)
If I were a food photographer I would hire a food stylist, take these photos in a studio, and have my friend Alpha give me pointers.  She's awesome!

Whew, it feels good to have that off my chest.

That said, if you ever see a recipe on this blog you can be assured of 2 things:
1. That it is suuuuuuper simple because I just don't do involved recipes
and
2. That it is so so so delicious that I took the time to photograph it poorly, write up the recipe and post it here for you to see.  I risked embarrassment to bring you this recipe.

And now, after that long and list-y preamble, here is the recipe for Southwest Zucchini Boats

4 medium zucchini
1 lb ground beef*
3/4 C salsa
1/4 C dry bread crumbs
1/4 C minced fresh cilantro
1 tsp chili powder (maybe less - our first batch made us a bit teary)
1/4 tsp ground cumin (I just do a pinch, otherwise it tastes like a taco)
dash of pepper
1 C shredded monterey jack cheese

Cut zucchinis in half, hollow and place in microwave safe dish
Cover and microwave for 3mnin or until crisp-tender.  Drain and set aside
Meanwhile, in a large skillet brown beef and drain, remove from heat
Stir in all ingredients and 1/2 C of the shredded cheese
Spoon into shells and sprinkle remaining cheese over top
Microwave uncovered 3-4 min until sprinkled cheese melts

* in our house we prefer to cut the meat portion in half and supplement it with rice instead - very delicious.
                                           This recipe is brought to you in part by Taste of Home magazine.
It makes cooking a little more enjoyable.

5 comments:

  1. you better believe I'll be making this soon. thanks for feeding my addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious, Whitney!!
    When I told Abe this was "Whit-whit's blog," and he said, "Are those Joe-joe's hands?"
    Then he said, "Remember when Whit-whit, Joe-joe, Kate-kate and El-li-li came? That was August."
    We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so yummy! Hee hee! Seriously, I want to make it my pillow and just sleep on it every night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that does look yummy. We are going to try those out real soon. Nice looking green dishes they go well with the zucchini. Yes, I recognize those hands, definatley Joe's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks scrumptious! And I love all those bows on Ellie!

    ReplyDelete