December 2, 2011

Journaling Happy Things

In the beginning of November I found myself in the depths of despair with the whole bedbug crisis.  The depths of despair, people.  Anne of Green Gables, anyone?  I remembered this talk given recently in General Conference about how it is always better to look up and I decided to apply this counsel to my own life right away.

So for one week I tried to find one really good thing about each day and write it down in a notebook.  And you know what?  I think because I was looking for good things to happen to me, I opened myself up to more possibilities for enjoyment in my life.  I went on outings when I normally would have stayed home because of the thought, "Hey, this could be my good thing for the day."  Even days that weren't super great were salvaged when I sat down at the end of the day and tried to remember the biggest highlight of the last 24 hours.

Because this is kind of my journal right now, and because I took some pictures too - I'll share what I wrote in my notebook those days.
Monday 11/7 - Ellie and I went to a park that's off our beaten path.  The weather was gorgeous that morning and we had the entire playground to ourselves.  It was refreshing to sit and watch my toddler run in the patches of sunlight and crunchy leaves.  We had no agenda, no place to be, just time to hang out and do whatever she wanted on the playground.

Tuesday 11/8 - An impromptu trip to the Met got us out of the house all day.  I never take last minute outings in the city, but I'm so glad I did.  We enjoyed some art (including a cool part of the museum I hadn't previously seen) spent time with great friends, and strolled through Central Park on THE most beautiful fall day.
Wednesday 11/9 - Finally sent off some overdue photos to a client.  Conquering the post office before lunch is always a good thing.

Thursday 11/10 - One pint of Breyer's chocolate ice cream.  Yes, the whole thing.

Friday 11/11 - Participated in a Blessing Way ceremony for my good friend Megan.  A group of close women got together to celebrate Megan and give her love and support for her upcoming birth journey.  There was laughter, candlelight, music, homemade Indian food, and just a general sense of well being and sisterhood.  I am so excited for her to have her baby, and of course excited for my own to join us soon.
Ellie and her friends were really living it up in Central Park that evening.
And I have no idea what is happening in the photo below, but doesn't her hair remind you of Greg Brady?
It's got me feeling groovy, that's for sure.
Here's hoping all of you have happy weeks as well.  
Take some time to notice what is right in your life, right now.

6 comments:

  1. Gosh, I LOVE Anne of Green Gables. Be my bosom friend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie is so unreal beautiful. And thankful journals are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hardly ever comment on people's blogs, but for some reason your bring it out in me :) I just wanted to say how darn cute that little Ellie is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been doing something similar this week. Thanks for sharing yours! I love to see your beautiful fall photos. It's almost like I get to experience it myself when I sit and look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Whit. Bed bugs would have totally put me in the depths of despair and I loved reading about how you got out of it. Thanks so much for sharing it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such a good attitude! When I am in the "depths of despair" (loved the Anne of Green Gables reference) all I want to do is lay around in my pajamas and eat chocolate - no joke! Thanks for sharing your experience. I will need to try this next time I find myself in despair.

    ReplyDelete