March 23, 2011

Living room tour

A few people have asked to see photos of our apartment and I am happy to finally share a little tour of our living room today.  We've put a lot of work into this part of our apartment since we moved in and I think it's coming along nicely.  It's amazing to look back on what it was like when we first moved in.
This is what it looks like today:
A list of things I love about my living room:
- so much sunlight
- great view all the way down the street
- love, love, love the gray walls
- happy curtains (my friend Megan helped me make them and they add so much to the room)
- Ellie has a presence in the room, but it doesn't feel over run with baby stuff
- the little reading couch is my favorite place to curl up with a good book

It's still a work in progress.  Here are some things that could use improvement:
- giant blank wall (visible in 4th photo) needs family photos hung
- big space above the couch is begging for artwork
- place a mirror over the leafy chair (serious lack of mirrors in this house)
- do something with all the computer cords - they drive me bonkers!
- remove stuff from top of bookshelves and replace with plants
- some shelves need serious organization and styling
- we could use one more light source at night
I'll be sure to do another tour when the finishing touches are up.  You know, so you can get the full effect.
These two shelves are a major thorn in my side.  Unsightly.
Oh yes, I also have a major dust bunny problem, even though I clean compulsively.
And in the spirit of full disclosure, look at all the stuff I had to shove into the hallway for this tour.
Awesome.
Yes, we painted the hallway deep purple.
It was supposed to be a little more plum-y, but we've grown to love it.

Thanks for being my virtual home guests, hope you'll invite me to your place soon!

11 comments:

  1. You've done such a great job! But you don't have pictured the nice potted plants on top of each bookcase. I really loved that touch. I can't wait to see more, and visit too. I come home inspired and excited to decorate my place when I come back from visiting your home. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I'm jealous of your sunlight.

    The dust bunnies here drive me insane!! It's a never ending battle and you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it really looks amazing!!!! I've always loved your place since the first time I saw it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay. First of all, I covet your leafy chair. Where did you get it?? Also, I love how everything has a clean, modern look to it. I love the couches but I worry that if I get them that light, kids will ruin them. Does Ellie do okay with light furniture? (We will eventually buy real couches, someday...) Second, I love the curtains. Perfect colors. Our bookshelves need help too. We need to get a third one soon because we have too many books now, but then how do I arrange three bookshelves? Your living room makes mine seem so dreary. Only one more year before I get to decorate my own house! Why haven't you printed off one of your gorgeous photographs to hang on your walls? Shutterfly has a new thing that I think looks like it could be cool and modern looking with no need for an expensive frame http://www.shutterfly.com/home-decor/mounted-wall-art
    Here's another site I found that is amazing with lots of DIY ideas
    http://www.designspongeonline.com/
    This will be my next project
    http://www.designspongeonline.com/2009/09/diy-video-graces-upholstered-otomi-headboard.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I would have never thought of gray on the walls but it looks so sleek, modern, and cool, all at the same time. I was also wondering, just like the Erickson's above, how you felt about the white couches? I would love to get slightly off-white couches, but am also afraid of the babe and far future babes making a mess out of it. Do you like it? Thanks for sharing! Now I need to get you to share photography tips, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you thought about zipties for the computer cords? Just a thought.
    Love the look of your living room. Very light. Very appealing. And, my favorite fixture is the ginormous accordion file folder on the bottom shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! So cozy+modern+clean+classy. Love it. The purple wall is great. After having the big purple couch here (thanks to Deb and Nate) I think purple is totally a must for every home. Thanks for showing the shot of the hallway and all the stuff you moved out. It made me feel better about myself (just being honest here). Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your living room is fantastic! So cute! However, I too appreciate the stuff in the hallway shot. I don't suppose you want to come out and decorate my apartment and then take photos of my baby, do you? Just kidding, I wouldn't put you to work on the apartment, we'd go hang out at the beach instead. I suppose I'll have to do it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! Where did you get the cute leaf chair by the bookshelf? LOVE it. AND I can't wait to the whole place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I love the honesty behind this. Because we all drag stuff into the other rooms when we get the camera out, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all the great comments, everyone.

    To answer a few questions:
    I love the light colored couches. That said, the small one by the window was the cheapest couch at IKEA and the big one was given to us by Joe's brother and sil. So there's not a lot of investment going on there. If I was going to spend more money on a couch, I would probably get one in charcoal. These ones are pretty clean, but that's because I wipe Ellie down obsessively and we try not to eat in the living room. And I do the occasional spot clean for stains. With kids, there's always the option of slipcovers for the couches and then removing them for special occasions.

    The leafy chair is from IKEA and I think it adds a lot to the room. Joe thinks it's super comfy, so I'm glad we bought it.

    Haley, thanks for noticing our filing system - we need a filing cabinet in a bad way, but where would we keep it?

    Deb, you know I would be there in a minute! I'd photograph your baby, decorate your house and cook you dinner all before hitting the beach! Let's just do it.

    Rach, I've been reading Design Sponge for a couple years now. I love their sneak peeks into other people's places. So dreamy. I haven't hung one of my photos because I'm looking for something HUGE to put on my wall and I'm just not sure anything I've taken really fits the bill. I don't know why I have such a hard time loving my photos, sometimes I just do. Also, you have amazing taste, so I can't wait to see what you do with your new place.

    ReplyDelete